Navigating the complexities of Google My Business can be a challenging yet crucial task for businesses aiming to boost their local SEO. If you’re struggling to see your GMB listing climb the ranks, understanding the common pitfalls can be the first step toward rectifying them.
Here are 15 critical reasons why your GMB might not be ranking as well as you’d hope:
1. Incomplete or Inaccurate Information: A GMB profile thrives on completeness. Ensure that every section is filled out accurately, including business hours, contact details, and descriptions.
2. Lack of Regular Updates: Google values freshness. Regularly updating your GMB listing with new photos, posts, and promotions can signal to Google that your business is active and relevant.
3. Inconsistent NAP (Name, Address, Phone) Across the Web: Consistency is key. Discrepancies in your business’s NAP on different websites can confuse Google and dilute your credibility.
4. Not Utilizing Google Posts: Google Posts are an underused feature that can significantly boost engagement and visibility. Regular posts about offers, events, or updates can make a difference.
5. Ignoring Customer Reviews: Engagement with customer reviews, both positive and negative, is crucial. It shows that you value customer feedback and you’re committed to improving their experience.
6. Lack of Quality Photos: Photos are worth a thousand words, especially in GMB. High-quality, relevant images can enhance user experience and engagement.
7. Not Leveraging Local Keywords: Optimize your GMB listing with local keywords relevant to your business and community. This helps in matching local search queries more effectively.
8. Failing to Categorize Your Business Properly: The right category can directly impact your discoverability. Ensure your primary and secondary categories align closely with your business offerings.
9. Neglecting to Add Attributes: Attributes like ‘wheelchair accessible’, ‘free Wi-Fi’, or ‘outdoor seating’ can be decisive factors for customers when choosing between businesses.
10. Insufficient or Irrelevant Q&A: Monitor and add to the Q&A section of your GMB listing. This can provide valuable information to potential customers and improve SEO.
11. Not Utilizing Google My Business Insights: GMB Insights provides valuable data on how customers find your listing and interact with it. Use this data to refine your strategy.
12. Poor Website SEO: The performance of your linked website also influences your GMB listing’s rank. Ensure your website is optimized for search engines.
13. Lack of Backlinks: Backlinks from reputable sites can enhance your listing’s credibility and search ranking.
14. Proximity Issues: Proximity to the searcher plays a role in GMB rankings. While you can’t change your location, you can optimize for the area you serve.
15. Penalties Due to Policy Violations: Ensure your listing complies with Google’s guidelines to avoid penalties that can harm your ranking.
In conclusion, mastering Google My Business is a multifaceted process requiring attention to detail, regular updates, and a keen understanding of SEO best practices. By addressing these 15 factors, you can enhance your GMB listing’s performance and visibility, paving the way for increased local engagement and business growth.
If you want to know whether your business is Googleable and ranking so that you can get more calls and revenue, then you can sign up for our $200 “Are You Googleable” audit.
About the Author