Facebook is super powerful, delivering nearly magical ROI.
Retargeting via custom audiences is the core.
This is your step-by-step checklist to doing it.
- Create your Facebook and Google ads accounts, tied to Facebook Business Manager and Google MCC.
- Use Google Tag Manager to install a Facebook custom audience pixel site-wide. We find a setting of 180 days is the sweet spot for data collection.
- Enable a Google remarketing pixel (also 180 days) linked to your AdWords & Analytics account and place it via Google Tag Manager.
- Add in Facebook conversion tracking and Google conversion tracking.
- Ensure you have claimed your business’ presence on the top 5 social networks (plumbing).
- Choose one metric each for funnel stage: audience, engagement, and conversion (AEC).
- Set overall budget and percentage allocation for each funnel stage.
- Determine target cost per conversion.
- Define your mission (start with WHY).
- Begin your personal branding sequence— topics you stand for, which drives content.
- Gather supporting content at each stage of the funnel (AEC).
- Make sure you have at least one native video.
- Assemble content list of third party endorsements on external sites.
- Create personas for the top 3 constituents you serve, which drives targeting.
- Ensure you’re posting at least once per day on Facebook, even if curated content.
- Import your email lists into Facebook as custom audiences.
- Create saved target audiences– one workplace targeted audience, one job title audience, and one similar pages audience.
- Create 1% lookalike audience on each of the conversions you track.
- Create 1 day and 30 day audiences (WCA) site-wide, plus 1 day and 30 day audiences per major landing page.
- Create free dashboard to track analytics and ad performance at dashboard.blitzmetrics.com.
- Create boosted posts against most recent 5 Facebook posts (audience and engagement), using all saved audiences.
- Create dark post bidding to website clicks (CPC) for landing page, using saved audiences.
- Set up remarketing ads for one day landing page abandoners via Google and Facebook.
- Set up email and search remarketing in Facebook and Google using utm parameters (CIDs, if you have Omniture).
- Create media inception ads using the “Facebook for $1 a day” strategy.
Optimization (once a week)
- Add in new posts from the past week into existing ad groups via “create similar ad”– winner stay on.
- Create new saved target audiences based on what interests are converting via Audience Insights.
- For conversions events that have at least 20 conversions in the last month, switch bidding from website clicks (CPC) to website conversions.
- Fill out weekly performance report template to summarize performance of content and targeting against your goals.
- Increase/decrease budgets by ad set and channel based on performance.
6 checklists of 5 tasks each for a total of 30 tasks.
We’ve simplified this as much as we could without stripping away any critical elements.